Friday, July 1, 2011

DLR Tomoe Nage

We are nearing the end of my current repertoire of DLR techniques that I actually hit (although there's about 100 more that I want to learn). The DLR tomoe-nage is a criminally underrated move. I also decided to learn this one after speaking with JT Torres, who said it's a critical component of his game. Obviously, no one is studying tape on me like they do with him, but being good at flipping your opponent cuts down on potential pass set-ups and even elevating them a little bit (but failing to complete the sweep) or dropping them off to the side but being unable to come on top will make them wary.

3 videos in this entry.


A. DLR tomoe-nage sweep
The steps for this one are fairly simple. Left DLR hook, double sleeve control is my standard
1. Get a deep hook on the right leg, crushing opponent's knee inwards, which limits their plane of movement
2. Push into opponent or initiate some move that gets opponent to push back into you
3. Continuing to crush the knee inwards, quickly pull the arms and use the DLR hook as a means of lifting to elevate opponent above you, pulling your legs into your chest to help
4. Guide opponent over your opposite shoulder from the hooked leg, pushing the arms forward to get them to turn; once their momentum takes over and they start to roll, extend your legs behind you and roll over that shoulder to come on top into mount (ideally) or side control, depending on your grips

As you'll see in the second video, you can work this with a number of grips, with a high collar grip being quite optimal for control/leverage (obviously double sleeve keeps them from basing to stop the move). My mistake when trying to work this move was trying to go for it in isolation. That's not going to work--it is best as a reaction move, taken after you've already tried to sweep the opponent. A typical chain of my "A-Game" DLR sweeps (that I try not to play) is first attempting the timber sweep, then the sit up sweep, then if they force me back down or try to stop that by driving into me, going right in a tomo-nage. Another example would be if someone stands to break my guard, I will instead secure a sleeve grip, drop quickly to get opponent thinking I'm going to try to sweep backwards, then quickly get the DLR hook, reach for a collar grip and go for the move. Tons of examples, but the key note (and something I've definitely failed on before) is that this move doesn't work in isolation. Now let's check out some videos.

Everybody loves video! Start at 1:15





This video has some good details about grips starting at 2:25. It's half English and half Japanese and moves at a slow pace so it's a bit annoying to review. He uses a deep collar grip and a tricep grip--I'm normally trying to set this up with double sleeve control, but it's really important to note that other options are available.



Finally, this is Cobrinha showing the sweep from the leg lasso position. I haven't covered my leg lasso sweeps yet (but I will) but this video is beautiful for the level of detail in the slow motion--watch how he pulls him in low before exploding with his legs. You also really don't see Cobrinha move much until the opponent is well over him and then his legs shoot back to come on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment